Last month, Call Dibs Co-founder Anthony Garcia and Military Content Manager Lydia DiCola had the opportunity to attend the Inc. 500/5000 conference Military Entrepreneurs Mentoring Fair in Washington, D.C.
The fair was a hub of military connections and networking with other successful military affiliated services and companies. Lydia and Anthony had the chance to meet up with Jacey Eckhart, Military.com’s Director of Spouse and Family Programs (SpouseBuzz.com). She took a few moments to interview Lydia on how her involvement with Call Dibs illustrates the unique opportunities military spouses encounter while they balance military life and career development.
You can find the entire story covered by SpouseBuzz here — “Real Spouse Employment: Help Develop An App.”
~ Call Dibs!
Call Dibs believes in creating services that will improve the quality of lives for service members, veterans, and their families. We also believe in supporting other services that support our community.
Call Dibs is proud to introduce Sheryl Shaffer, founder of Veterans Helping Veterans TV (VHVtv).
Sheryl Shaffer, Producer of Veterans Helping Veterans TV holds the WAVE award
Read more >
Mike is a team member who has been working on Call Dibs from the very beginning. Mike is also from the Island of Cebu, located in the Philippines. Cebu was devastated by last week’s Typhoon Haiyan.
Fortunately, Mike’s family is doing okay. Sadly, thousands did not make it and over 600,000 are homeless.
Last night we implemented a button on the Call Dibs iPhone and iPad app that makes it super simple to donate to the American Red Cross.
I donated this morning and it took me less then 30 seconds. The button takes you directly to the App store and asks for your desired donation. Once selected, Cebu and the Philippines will immediately receive your support. It’s as easy as downloading an app.
Mike and the Call Dibs team appreciates any assistance you can provide. Our brothers and sisters of the Philippines appreciate it even more.
– Anthony Garcia, CEO and Army Veteran
Next stop, Ft. Hood!
Since we launched Call Dibs in 2011, our team has crossed the globe, from Monterey, California to Garmisch, Germany, to share the app and website with the Military community. Call Dibs Ambassadors — team members, military spouses, retirees, military brats, and civilians — have met with users and teamed up with support organizations.
Lydia Dicola in Washington, DC for the Inc. 500/500 Conference.
Anjellah, Heather and Erica participate in the Wear Blue Run to Remember in Monterey, CA where the team also was also involved with the Naval PostGraduate School, Pinnacle Housing, MWR, and community yard sale events.
Shelby and the Ft. Carson Community participated in a Health Expo and Holiday Dress Swap, hosted by the Fort Carson MWR.
This Saturday and Sunday, Call Dibs and Adjacent Applications will be one of the sponsors of the 32nd Annual Fort Hood Officers' Spouses' Club Holiday Bazaar at the Killeen Civic & Conference Center.
Over 180 vendors will be there to help attendees prepare for the Holidays. Visit our table and learn more about Call Dibs. Stop by for a few minutes to register to win swag when you download the app or become a registered user online.
We'll also be hosting a Happy Hour tomorrow from 5-6pm at the Courtyard Marriott Killeen's Bistro Lounge, located at 1721 E Central Texas Expressway.
Would you like to be notified when Call Dibs hosts an event or happy hour near you? Be sure to subscribe to our blog, follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
When I left the Army in 2007, I had been away from combat for one year and was in the process of transitioning to life as a student. As ridiculous as this sounds, I was more afraid of going to class than receiving a 0300 Dustoff mission. I was afraid because I didn’t know how to act as a civilian, I was zoning out in class thinking about Iraq, I was surrounded by people who had never experienced combat, and I believed I had lost my identity.
Anthony and Joe – Balad, Iraq 2005; Dustoffers and Call Dibs Team Members
Read more >
As we approach the 2013 Veteran’s Day Weekend, it’s important to thank the many men and women who have sacrificed their lives and families for our country.
Call Dibs is a proud veteran co-founded company and works with many civilians and military spouses to bring a great experience to military members who PCS. Last year we were featured on Veterans Helping Veterans regarding our connection with the Army community. Check out an interview Anthony (our CEO) gave to Veterans Helping Veterans’ Sheryl Shaffer in 2012.
This Veteran’s Day weekend, enjoy national and local deals and specials. Share these deals with others in your network via Facebook or Twitter.
November 9 – 11: Everybody can enjoy free entrance to National Parks on Veterans Day weekend!
November 10: McCormick & Schmicks offers a special on Sunday, November 10, 2013 as they pay tribute to our veterans with a complimentary entrée from a special menu.
Now until November 11: Seaworld Parks & Entertainment offers a 50% discount to veterans and active duty military from today till November 11. 50% discounts apply to the following Seaworld Properties: Adventure Island, Aquatica, Busch Gardens, Discovery Cove, Sea World, Sesame Place, and Water Country USA.
- Applebees offers a free signature Thank You Meal menu to veterans and active military members. Make sure to check your local Applebees to see if it is participating.
- 4pm to 9pm: All Golden Corral locations are offering a free Veterans Day buffet and beverage to veterans and active military members.
- Many Sport Clips locations will offer free haircuts to active-duty U.S. service members and veterans on Veterans Day, Monday, November 11, 2013, with valid proof of service. For a list of participating stores, click here. Please contact your local Sport Clips for more information.
- Hooters provides veterans and active duty military personnel receive a free meal with some restrictions.
- Starbucks will not only be serving Veterans, Active Duty and Spouses a cup of free coffee on Veterans Day, they are also focusing their hiring strategy to hiring Veterans and Spouses all year long.
- Bar Louie is offering a lunch or dinner on Louie for all Veterans and Active Duty on Monday, November 11th. (Up to $12 value, participating locations only)
- Krispy Kreme will give a free doughnut and coffee to veterans and active military in uniform or with ID.
- Spaghetti Warehouse will have a “buy one entrée, get one free” coupon that veterans can use November 10 and 11. The coupon will be available beginning November 6 on Spaghetti Warehouse’s Web site and Facebook page.
- Outback Steakhouse will give veterans and active military (ID required) a free Bloomin’ Onion and beverage on November 11. Military personnel with a valid ID also will receive 10% off their meals November 12 through December 31.
- Chili’s is offering a free entrée (from a limited menu) to veterans and active-duty military November 11. Proof of military service required. Chili’s also is donating 10% of sales (when this flyer is presented) November 10 to the Wounded Warrior Project.
- California Pizza Kitchen is offering a free pizza from its menu (dine-in only and at participating locations) November 11 to veterans and active military members who come in uniform or bring proof of service.
Thank you to the sites providing details on these and many more deals: Military Avenue, Kiplinger, and Daily Markets.
Comment with more deals below or send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call Dibs was featured in USAA’s Fall 2013 Magazine. If you missed it, you’ll find us on page 19 in the online version of the USAA Magazine.
Right now, USAA is highlighting their Fall 2013 Apps and Gadgets feature on the iPad. So pull out your iPad, slide to unlock and open up your USAA app to check it out!
As our Call Dibs community grows, we hear more and more from our users. We’ve received some excellent questions over the past few weeks and wanted to share a few of them here on the blog.
For a basic overview of the app, please visit the Call Dibs FAQ.
Read more >
Halloween is only three days away. Are you still looking for a costume for yourself or your children?
Well, look no further! Call Dibs has listings to help you create a Halloween costume to die for.
DIY costumes have always been popular for kids and adults. You can find some killer Halloween costume ideas on Pinterest, then use Call Dibs to assemble your costume.
How about a minion costume using these overalls listed on Call Dibs?
Read more >
When we launched the Call Dibs iPhone app in June 2012, we believed we had a useful and easy-to-use application built on a solid technical foundation. Looking back now, we definitely did and it was not luck.
In the life cycle of start-ups, Call Dibs has achieved “Product/Market Fit“.
From the blog – Startup Marketing by Sean Ellis
Read more >